This blog is in chill-mode, but you'll still find archived posts and book updates/events.

[ FAQ ][ Hunk Gallery ][ Knocktionary ][ Ask a DB Momma ][ Stillbirth Theme Song] [ Contact Me] [ KuKd: THE BOOK]

Friday, August 8, 2008

Some Resolutions

Greetings KuKd Strong Mommas and Inquisitive Guests!

I've never done well with rules. My friend M is so incredibly good at setting boundaries for her own mental and physical health, and sticking to them. For example, she goes on certain kinds of diets, limits her social commitments to a sanity-preserving number, and allots a certain amount of "me time" each day (I'm talking about time to HERself, not time to me, Monica. Not that I wouldn't mind if somebody had "Monica Time" permanently written on a certain square on their weekly calendar). Recently, she decided to drink no wine for a whole month. And she did it. I really admire that quality in her.

I, on the other hand, tend to do whatever is instantly gratifying; who cares if fits into my mental notion-de-jour of what's good and healthy. As an example, I tend to TOTALLY over socialize, even when I'm feeling overwhelmed and really should take some time to myself to just flip through Real Simple magazine backwards (I love the fluff on the last few pages) or take a Calgon bath. Or, I guzzle coffee or white zinfandel or whatver, because it feels good at the moment. Never mind that my gut is probably rotting, I shouldn't be doing happy hour every single dang day, and I'm sleep deprived.

So, here we are on the last leg of our trip - Budapest is hot and gritty and delicious, my arse is still sore from riding like hell, and we'll be home early next week. After five weeks way on a long, trippy adventure with my honey, I feel compelled to briefly blog about some returning-stateside resolutions, things I'm going to do when we get back, or try to do. Rules! Here are few to get started:

1. Since bacon, garlic, butter, and salt were sent from God to make humans feel good, I'm going to eat at least two of them per day.

2. Dance parties, and dancing in general, are good for the world, so I'm going to try to have at least one dancing get together every two months. And I already sent out an Evite for the first one, as soon as we get back.

3. Color! I'm sick of the forest green in our living room. Seattle is already gray and green and depressing, so I'm painting the living room a bright and happy tangerine color or daisy yellow. And, I'm going to try to do that cool watermarked-sponge look that Mediterranean restaurants do so well.

4. Netflix. I'm going to try, for the third time, to get a Netflix subscription and watch one or two foreign movies a month. I really love movies, I just get so stressed out about trying to decide which ones to watch that I've stopped watching them altogether.

Okay, there are more - but that's for the next post. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

julian + jen said...

good luck! i'll join you in #1

Anonymous said...

I totally love your blog - great resolutions. I should do something like that too.

Anonymous said...

I totally love your blog - great resolutions. I should do something like that too.

sharonvw said...

Hey Mon
I'm the same as you, I have no will power and tend to care more about feeling good in the moment than what's actually good for me.
All the best with your rules!

corinne said...

i'll join you for 2 - 4, esp. #4...and occasional bacon worship. :)