This blog is in chill-mode, but you'll still find archived posts and book updates/events.

[ FAQ ][ Hunk Gallery ][ Knocktionary ][ Ask a DB Momma ][ Stillbirth Theme Song] [ Contact Me] [ KuKd: THE BOOK]

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Green Lake Bliss

look what i did without a kid!

Greetings, Inquisitive Guests and Regular Readers Alike!

First, I reluctantly-yet-enthusiastically think we should all share an occasional LWIDWAK moment. "Reluctantly" because I am historically very, very bad at posting what other people want me to post, and "enthusiastically" because I think LWIDWAK moments are freakin' cool. Here's mine:

"Green Lake Bliss:"







It was simple, really, one of those times where you make something out of nothing. An autumn day, bright foliage, rippling water, good friends, beer and wine, plastic cups, a scruffy dog, and a camera. We sat around on one of Green Lakes several docks, watched the sky turn from sunlit blue to deep black, and had good conversation while Tebow chased ducks. That's it.

This is one of my favorite ways to spend time, cheap and simple and outdoors, exchanging information with intelligent friends who aren't afraid to belch loudly. What an amazing, kidfree, purely indulgent moment. Wouldn't be a relative hassle to do this with a child running around? Think about it. God forbid they fall into the water or grab an open bottle of wine and start swiggin' from it. And face it: the odds of them getting tired and cranky before you're ready to leave are fairly high.

The concept of the LWIDWAK moment came to me while I was sitting with my parents and friends last night, shoveling forkfuls of gravy-drenched turkey into my mouth, thinking wistfully how perfect a time this would be to have a rosy-cheeked infant (MY infant, specifically - yes, the one I delivered) to pass around from lap to lap. Then, I realized how damn good this turkey was, baby or no baby, and how fortunate I am to have parents and friends that are normal, nice, and near.*

LWIDWAK moments can be anything - a picture, a story, a recipe, a thought. They're for mommas and non-mommas alike, and are not meant to imply that childless living is more fulfilling than childful living. Rather, they hinge on the belief that women - regardless of baby production track record - can and should have valuable childfree experiences that are worth celebrating.

*Okay, the grim truth. LWIDWAK moments are really designed to make reproductively wacked poeple like me feel better. They're like fake chocolate cake for people on Weight Watchers diets - "no really, you like this. It's delicious, this dry-ass cake that tastes like tar." Really, you like this life without kids. Come on - think of all your glorious LWIDWAK moments. As Sheryl Crow wisely pointed out in one of her songs: "It's not getting what you want; it's wanting what you've got." I want my LWIDWAK moments. At least, I think I do.

If you are a blogger and you'd like to share a LWIDWAK moment using the same cool icon as me, click HERE for HTML code. Or, skip the code nonsense and just share!

9 comments:

'Murgdan' said...

Oh--I love the idea. But historically, I'm surely worse than you at these tag games. I'll put this one on my list--which caused me to get out my list--and I have 4-5 other tags I still haven't done.

The pressure is on!

:-)

...But I do have a good LWIDWAK trip to post about.

Monica LeMoine said...

Murgdan, DUDE! I know - I suck at tag games. People have tossed it at me multiple times and I never, ever do it. It's like, I think about doing it, and then I don't. There's like this mental disconnect.

Monica LeMoine said...

Come to think of it, I'm so bad at tagging that I'm realizing I really shouldn't even be tagging others - it's a bit hypocritical - so I'm taking that part out of this post. There, I feel better now.

sharonvw said...

Hey how funny I was just thinking about this very topic today, so I'm dead keen to participate!

Michelle said...

Great idea! I have to think about something to post.

Cara said...

I love this concept. Yes, even as a momma - we occasionally revel in our childfree moments.

I haven't had one in a while...but when I do you bet I'm in and totally stealing the button!

Anna said...

This is brilliant. First of all, I'm a firm believer that gratitude is more powerful than a lot of really painful emotions, like fear and despair.

And second, as someone who got very very lucky with a healthy baby after 2 losses, I think it's so important to acknowledge that there are, in fact, lovely, rich, and meaningful moments that are exclusive to kidfree living. Not to conveniently forget the excruciating pain of infertility, or the longing, or the sense of incompleteness I felt. BUT...having that child did bring some losses, too, and no one ever wants to talk about that. It seems disloyal or selfish to mourn things like time or solitude or long dinners with friends. But those are some of life's great pleasures! So kudos to you for taking that moment to want what you got.

chicklet said...

I'm totally loving this idea, although I'll have to get all thoughtful on what I want to brag about.

Monica LeMoine said...

OK, all of you - I'm looking forward to reading about your LWIDWAK moment, if you haven't shared one already!