This blog is in chill-mode, but you'll still find archived posts and book updates/events.

[ FAQ ][ Hunk Gallery ][ Knocktionary ][ Ask a DB Momma ][ Stillbirth Theme Song] [ Contact Me] [ KuKd: THE BOOK]

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Wicked Witch of the Pelvis

Greetings, KuKd Strong Mommas and Inquisitive Guests!

Warning: the first part of this post is cheerful-sounding. I only say that because I know how irritating it is when you're feeling like an old scrooge, only to have some Polyanna type come along and wave daisies and lollipops in your face. After I get the cheerful part out of the way, I promise it will get more gritty and sulky. Got it? Okay, here we go.

The cheerful part: this whole Exhale thing is really, really satisfying. Seriously, I've been thinking that if things really do happen for a reason, then perhaps this is my reason for getting knocked down. My calling, I guess, other than shopping for baby binkies and sticking my boob into my baby's mouth.

And now, the whiney part.

Remember "Poop Elves," one of our earlier KuKd words of the week? You know, those little elfin beings that inhabit the intestines, pushing out human excrement with a "heave ho" chant, strengthened by a high-fiber diet and weakened by refined grains and other "constipators."

Well, I'm not sure if this warrants a new KuKd word, but I've had a different kind of entity wreaking havoc on my body for the past few years. I call her the Wicked Witch of the Pelvis. Unlike the happy little Poop Elves, the Wicked Witch of the Pelvis does nothing to further the world in any way, nothing that betters humanity. No, no. Here's what she does: she inhabits mysterious corners and crevices in the lower abdomen, and - for no reason other than to be evil, she causes chronic pelvic pain.

The thing that's particularly bad about her is that people often don't believe she's there. She's like that Mister Snuffaluffagus character from Sesame Street, but an evil version who messes with women's reproductive systems. No matter how fervently Big Bird tried to convince the world that Mister Snuffaluffagus existed, nobody belived him.

Same goes for my own chronic pelvic pain, which started about two years ago, and sort of dissipated while I was knocked up. Lately she's returned in full force, and it's taken me a long, long time and lots of visits with various doctors to FINALLY convince them: I really have pelvic pain. No, I don't think it's stress-induced. Don't send me home with an Advil and tell me to relax; that may have worked during the month or two after the stillbirth itself, but it's been almost a year-and-a-half. Give me a break, people.

Anyway, I'm finally getting checked out for real, but it won't happen until March, when my doctor will surgically check me out for endometriosis, hopefully fixing whatever they find.

Or maybe they won't find anything, and I'll be back to cursing that Wicked Witch of the Pelvis.

7 comments:

Cara said...

Amazing. Both parts! But, seriously - that is why I went yesterday for a CT scan due to chronic pelvic pain. I don't know what they expect to find, but I keep telling them and they keep saying (as they look up at me from stirrup height) that everything "seems fine".

Well - it's not. Year and half for me too, but the trigger seems to have been taking out the IUD that lived there previously.

Michelle said...

I hate it when doctors just send you home and look at you like you have lost your mind. They have told me it is just in my head before and it turned out to really be something. I hope they find out whatever it is and you feel better.

*~*Lis*~* said...

I was going to ask if you thought it might be endo, glad they are taking you seriously!

Lost in Space said...

I found exhale on another blog which brought me here. Great job with exhale!! I'm looking forward to following!

I wanted to share my experience with the chronic pelvic pain in hopes it can help you too. Mine started in July 2006 after a UTI. I spent an entire year battling doctors who just didn't seem to believe me because "all looked normal".

I finally found an OB/Gyn who runs a pelvic pain clinic and on my first visit, she suspected both endometriosis and Interstitial Cystitis. I had never even heard of IC before, but was a pretty classic case it turns out. I had a cystoscopy to diagnose the IC and a lap to diagnose the endo. IC and endo are often referred to as the evil twins of pelvic pain.

I wish I could say that my pain is gone, but IC is a real bi!ch to have. When I end this TTC nightmare next year, I plan to finally try some of the (non-TTC friendly) meds that may or may not help with the pain. It's real hocus pocus on what might help and there is no "fix".

I hope this isn't too Debbie Downer-ish. I just wish I had the information back then.

Many hugs and good luck.

sharonvw said...

Hey Mon,
Glad to hear you'll be getting a proper check up for that Pelvis pain. After years of battling I finally had mine resolved during laproscopic surgery earlier this year. I'd had a messy emergency appendix op as a child which has caused rather ugly lesions to stretch across my pelvis and get my tubes, bowel, uterus and bladder all stuck to each other. Finally of years I'm pain free.
Hope they can fix the problem for you too!
(((Hugs)))

Monica LeMoine said...

Cara - that's funny, I sensed your mysterious "procedure" involved some kind of pelvic pain. Great...uh....pelvises think alike.

Michelle & Lis - yes, glad I'm getting it checked out. I hope they find something too. End the mystery!

Lost in Space and Shaz - great to hear your stories. Who knows what they'll find down there. I guess there are so many different strange and wonderful things it could be.

Anonymous said...

let us know what they find.

are you sure you don't just have fibroids? this happens to me and it's because i have a fibroid. estrogen makes them grow more. if they get too big, they have to be removed, but that doesn't always happen.

endometriosis would make it more difficult to get pregnant, right? am i wrong? i'm getting a bit scared now.